Dumfries Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Cycling is one of the healthiest and most economical ways to get from point A to point B, but it is not without risk. Sadly, bicyclists who are involved in crashes with motor vehicles are often seriously injured or killed. Although helmets dramatically lower the risk of serious injury, a bicycle’s lack of enclosure still presents a dangerous situation in a car-bicycle collision.
In 2017 in Virginia, there were 670 bicycle crashes, of which 619 resulted in injuries. and 14 were fatal. At the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, we will thoroughly review your case before moving forward with any legal strategy, and we will ensure that you fully understand your rights and options. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Dumfries, VA will help you seek the maximum compensation you are entitled to. Call us today at 571-229-1800.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), most bicycle accidents are avoidable. To decrease your risk of accidents, familiarize yourself with the bicycle safety facts below:
- Cyclist deaths occur most frequently between the hours of six and nine p.m., and they are more common on weekends.
- A shocking 71 percent of all cyclist deaths occur in urban areas.
- In 2016, men were 5.6 times more likely to be killed in a bicycle accident than females.
- That same year, alcohol was involved in 35 percent of all deadly cyclist crashes.
By staying off the roadways between the hours of six and nine p.m., using extra caution in urban areas, never cycling while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and always wearing a helmet, you can dramatically reduce your risk of serious death and injury in a bicycle accident.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents happen every day and for a wide variety of reasons. Some of the most common include:
- Dooring accidents—When a bicyclist is riding close to parked cars, and the driver or passenger of a car opens his door into the cyclist’s path, the resulting collision is referred to as dooring. To prevent this type of accident, always pay close attention to parked cars and give as much space between you and the parked cars as possible.
- Sideswiping—When the driver of a motor vehicle fails to give a bicyclist enough space to safely pass, this is referred to as sideswiping.
- Rear-ending—The majority of rear-ending accidents occur because the motor vehicle driver was distracted.
- Excessive speed—Many bicycle collisions with motor vehicles involve a car or truck driver who was speeding.
- Weather—Avoid riding in inclement weather, such as when heavy rains are predicted, or if the roads are covered in snow or ice. But even bright sun can pose a risk, as the position of the sun can temporarily blind cyclists, especially around rush hour.
- Drugs and alcohol—Alcohol is a factor in many car-bicycle accidents. Although cyclists have been killed due to their alcohol consumption, these accidents more commonly involve an intoxicated driver of a motor vehicle.
Serious bicycle accidents can be financially devastating. Even if you do not have to miss a significant amount of work, your medical expenses and bicycle repairs can be costly. And if you are unable to perform the tasks of your job for an extended period, the loss of income could have disastrous consequences. If another’s negligence contributed to your damages, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, “pain and suffering” and inconvenience, lost wages, and alternative transportation costs. A bicycle accident lawyer in Dumfries, VA can help.
Why You Should Hire a Dumfries, VA Bicycle Accident Lawyer
The Parrish Law Firm has been representing victims of bicycle accidents for years. Our knowledgeable attorneys understand the complexities of these cases, and we will help you seek the maximum compensation available.
Identify the At-Fault Party and Prove Negligence
We will work diligently to prove that a negligent driver or other party caused or contributed to your damages. To do this, we must establish that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care, they breached that duty, that breach caused your injuries, and you have suffered damages as a result.
Negotiate with Insurers
Jim Parrish began his legal career as an attorney for the big insurance companies. As such, he understands the industry and how insurers will do everything in their power to avoid paying claims. It was this knowledge that led him away from the insurance companies and to the victims. Let the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC handle the insurance companies on your behalf. The last thing you should be doing at a time like this is worrying about insurance negotiations and paperwork.
Our goal is to get you the largest possible settlement. If the insurance company refuses to settle or offers an unfair settlement amount, we are prepared to take your case to court.
What You Can Recover
If the negligence of another caused or contributed to your bicycle accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation for any or all the damages below:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages, current and future
- “Pain and suffering” and inconvenience
- Expenses related to alternative transportation
- Wrongful death
Contact a Dumfries, VA Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you have a right to seek compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. The legal team at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC will analyze the details of your case, determine the most appropriate legal strategy, and work tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve. Do not go through this difficult time alone.
Call us today at 571-229-1800 for a free and confidential consultation about your case with a bicycle accident lawyer in Dumfries, VA.