Car accident injuries, ranging from whiplash to permanent disability, can be severe and difficult to manage. Unfortunately, obtaining full compensation for your injuries can be just as difficult. But you do not need to go through this alone. A car accident lawyer in Fairfax County at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC can offer you quality advice regarding your legal rights after a motor vehicle accident: 571-229-1800.
Why Should I File a Claim for a Fairfax County Car Accident?
Many people underestimate how much their accident-related costs will add up to. Medical treatments, property repairs, and various other expenses can quickly total thousands of dollars.
To make matters worse, many accident victims are unable to work during their recovery. Some victims are also responsible for supporting a family and cannot afford to take time off work while they recover. And insurance companies will rarely come off with the money you need to make ends meet.
This is where we come in. Jim Parrish, our firm’s founder, has knowledge from the inside about insurance companies. In addition to the information he gained from years representing the insurance companies, he also gained knowledge growing up around them as his father was an insurance company executive for many years. This means our car accident lawyers in Fairfax County know what tricks the insurers might try to pull and how to defend you against them. This knowledge allows us to help get you the maximum payout for the following damages:
- Medical expenses (e.g., hospital stay costs, medical procedures, rehabilitative services)
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Noneconomic damages (e.g., “pain and suffering” and inconvenience, mental anguish, loss of enjoyment of life)
Do I Have to File Right Away?
In Virginia, under Va. Code § 8.01-243, accident victims have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. Do not be fooled into thinking this is a long period of time. In some cases, it can take over a year to simply receive a full prognosis on your injuries.
In addition to satisfying this legal limitation, you have a better chance to win your case if you start the process as soon as possible after your accident. Memories fade and evidence can disappear over time, making it more difficult to prove your case.
Fairfax County Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 571-229-1800
What if I get a settlement offer from the insurer?
Soon after an accident, the other driver’s insurance company may make a settlement offer in hopes that you will accept whatever you can get.
Even if the offer seems reasonable, it is important to talk to one of our attorneys before agreeing to anything. There are likely costs you never considered that we will ensure your settlement has.
We have your best interests at heart and will advise you regarding next steps. If the settlement is not enough, a car accident lawyer is not afraid to take your case to court in Fairfax County and help you recover the amount of damages you truly deserve.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Fairfax County Help me?
Our car accident attorneys are here to protect your legal rights in Fairfax County by offering quality representation. We will file a claim against the parties responsible for your accident and prove your case in court. In most cases, this will be the driver of the vehicle that hit your car. However, we might also be able to hold car manufacturers, car part manufacturers, and agencies responsible for roadway maintenance liable, depending on the cause of your accident.
Once we have determined whom we must file against, we will build a case against those parties to prove they are liable for your damages. Our case will typically require us to establish the elements of negligence: duty, breach, causation, and damages.
- Duty: We will first prove that the defendant owed you a duty of care. Motorists have a duty to operate their vehicles safely and not act in a way that would put other motorists or pedestrians in danger.
- Breach: Proving the other party breached its duty to you will be the main part of our case. We will use the accident report, traffic statutes, photos, surveillance video, witness testimony, and other evidence to show the other party behaved negligently. For example, we might collect cell phone records to show the other party was texting at the time of the crash. Accident reconstruction experts can help explain what happened (e.g., how fast the driver was going, whether he applied the brakes, etc.).
- Causation: The defendant’s negligence must have directly and proximately caused your injuries. We may call upon medical experts to testify to the fact that your injuries relate to the type of accident that occurred. Accident reconstructionists can also also help connect the dots. For example, it is likely that a rear-end collision could cause neck and back injuries due to the force that type of collision places on the spine.
- Damages: Lastly, we will use your medical records and physician testimony to prove the extent of your injuries and the treatments you have received since the accident. We might also ask your family and friends to testify regarding at-home care and the effects of your injuries on your daily life.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What if my loved one died in the accident?
If you lost a family member in a car accident, you have the option of filing a wrongful death claim against the negligent parties. A wrongful death claim allows certain family members and dependents (e.g., spouses, children, parents) to recover damages if they can prove:
- They suffered monetary loss because of their family member’s death
- The defendant’s negligence caused the decedent’s death
Parties may recover compensation for loss of companionship, loss of guidance, loss of the decedent’s income, medical care expenses, and other damages. Our attorneys can guide you through the process of filing a wrongful death suit and get justice for your loved one.
Let a Car Accident Lawyer in Fairfax County Fight for The Compensation You Deserve
Car accidents are responsible for thousands of injuries and deaths every year. These accidents force victims and their families to deal with insurance companies, complicated paperwork, and endless medical bills, all while dealing with physical and emotional pain.
Let the car accident attorneys at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC take on some of these responsibilities and allow you to focus on your recovery. Contact our attorneys at 571-229-1800 for help filing your car accident claim today.