Sadly, motorcycle accidents often result in serious injury or death. Due to their small size, they are easily hidden in the blind spots of other motor vehicle drivers, and their lack of enclosure makes riders especially vulnerable in a crash.
In 2017 in Virginia, there were 2,119 motorcycle crashes, of which 1,670 resulted in injuries, and 108 were fatal. The Parrish Law Firm, PLLC will review your case to determine how to proceed, and we will thoroughly explain your rights and options before moving forward. Our motorcycle accident lawyers in Dumfries, VA will help you seek the maximum compensation you deserve. Contact us today at 571-229-1800.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a total of 5,286 people were killed in motorcycle crashes nationwide in 2016, an increase of 5.1 percent from the previous year. Based on 2016 crash rates, motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to die in a crash than their passenger car-driving counterparts.
With an increased risk of serious bodily injury for motorcycle riders, it is important that you understand the most common causes of motorcycle accidents, as well as your legal rights should you be involved in an accident, before you take to the open road.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Inexperience—New riders and those without proper practice and training are most prone to crashes. Operating a motorcycle safely takes time and practice. New riders should consider enrolling in a training program before riding on highways and other heavily-traveled roadways.
- Invisibility—Due to their small size, other motor vehicle drivers may not see a motorcycle until it is too late.
- Road Hazards—Potholes, construction debris, loose gravel, and even roadkill can pose a great risk to motorcyclists who may crash from running over/through the hazard, or after swerving to avoid it.
- Speeding—Although most motorcyclists ride responsibly, excessive speed is involved in a significant percentage of crashes. Speeding is never a good idea, but it is particularly dangerous on a motorcycle, which can “speed wobble” due to misalignment. Further, riding a motorcycle requires balance, which is compromised at higher speeds.
- Lane-Splitting—This common, but dangerous practice occurs when a motorcycle weaves between lanes of stopped or slowly moving traffic.
- Defective Parts—Product liability issues are quite common in motorcycle accidents, more so than with accidents involving other motor vehicles. When a design flaw or defective part affects a motorcycle’s performance, the consequences can be deadly. If a malfunctioning part contributed to your crash, you may be able to obtain compensation from the bike or parts manufacturer.
The cost of a motorcycle accident can be financially devastating. You may be overwhelmed with medical expenses and bike repair bills. Further, if your injuries are serious, you may be unable to work for some time. If the negligence of another driver, a construction crew, or a parts manufacturer played a role in your accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, “pain and suffering and inconvenience”, lost wages, and alternative transportation costs. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Dumfries, VA can help.
Why You Should Hire a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
The Parrish Law Firm, PLLC has extensive experience with motorcycle accident cases. If you have been injured or have lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, we can help you seek the maximum compensation available.
Our legal team will thoroughly review your case to determine the at-fault party or parties. The next step is to prove liability. To do so, we must establish the following:
- You were owed a duty of care.
- The at-fault party or parties breached that duty.
- You were injured because of that breach of duty.
- You have suffered actual damages.
We Will Negotiate with the Insurance Companies
Let us handle the insurance companies for you. Jim Parrish knows the insurance industry inside and out. He began his legal career as a lawyer for insurance companies. When he realized he would rather represent the victim than the insurer, the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC was born.
Dumfries Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 571-229-1800
Types of Recovery in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
If another’s negligence contributed to your motorcycle accident, you may be able to recover compensation for the following damages:
- Medical costs, including visits to the doctor, hospitalization, prescription medications, and rehabilitation
- Loss of income
- “Pain and suffering and inconvenience”
- Transportation costs
- Wrongful death
The Clock is Ticking
Personal injury cases in Virginia are subject to a two-year statute of limitations. Essentially, this means that you have two years from the date of your injury within which to settle or file a lawsuit. If you fail to do so, you may lose the opportunity to recover damages. The Parrish Law Firm, PLLC is here to ensure that you meet these important deadlines. Let us handle the tough stuff so you can focus on healing.
Although two years may seem an ample amount of time to file a lawsuit, this window becomes much smaller when you account for inevitable errors, obstacles, and problems in the claims process. Furthermore, your ability to recall memories and gather pertinent evidence becomes more challenging with each passing day, week, and month.
Contact a Dumfries, VA Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident due to another’s negligence, you have a right to seek compensation for medical expenses, “pain and suffering and inconvenience,” and lost wages. At the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, a motorcycle accident lawyer in Dumfries, VA will work tirelessly to recover the maximum amount available to you. Do not go through this difficult time alone. Contact us today at 571-229-1800 for a free consultation about your case.