These motorists obviously do not intend to cause an accident or hurt a child, but they may still be at fault. Sometimes they do not see the child on a bike. Other times, objects block their line of sight. However, the responsibility lies with the motorist if your child followed all of the appropriate safety rules.
In some bicycle accident cases, inattentive motorists have been made to admit guilt. In one case, the plaintiff was awarded the full insurance policy limit for the wrongful death of a child. While these accident settlements cannot return your life or the life of your child, they can help offset the medical, funeral and other costs incurred with a fatal bicycle accident.
If Your Child Is In a Bicycle Accident
When your child is in a life-threatening accident, it is easy to panic. You tried to keep them safe. You taught them to wear a helmet and follow bicycle safety rules, but it did not help. It’s not your fault.
Now it is time to fight back and ensure your child’s medical and rehabilitation needs are met. Remember the following factors when trying to plan your Virginia personal injury lawsuit:
- Get medical attention first.
- Call a Virginia personal injury lawyer.
- The negligent party’s insurance company’s priority is their client – not your child. Never accept their first offer.
- Talk to an experienced Virginia bicycle accident attorney before you speak to the insurance company.
- Tell your Virginia personal injury attorney every detail, even if it seems minor. A bush blocking the view around a corner or cracks in the sidewalk may make a difference.
- Get a police report. Any pertinent information you forgot may be recorded there.
A bicycle accident involving your child can ruin and completely change your life. As the parent of a victim of a bicycle accident, you, too, may be emotionally traumatized. Until you retain an attorney, the representatives of the insurance company know that they are dealing with someone who is not adequately prepared and thus are unlikely to offer you fair compensation.
If you, or your loved one, have been injured in a bicycle accident in the Northern Virginia area, it would be in your best interest to contact an experienced Virginia personal injury lawyer who will protect your rights and ensure you get the justice and compensation you rightfully deserve. Virginia has a statute of limitations that may prohibit you from filing a lawsuit if too much time has passed. Contact Parrish Law Firm, PLLC today for a FREE evaluation of your case – 571-206-0215.