The family of a Chesapeake, VA boy who was electrocuted as the result of an improperly cut cable in the family’s backyard has won $4.675 million in settlement money, reports PilotOnline.com.
Logan Fray, 7-years-old at the time, was playing in his backyard in March 2010, swinging on a cable that was stapled to a tree. When that cable struck an overhead power line, it sent thousands of volts of electricity through the boy’s body. Logan’s dad, Larry Fray, an emergency medical technician, separated Logan from the cable and tried to talk to his seriously burned son.
The cable was the remnant of an old dish antenna that had been installed in the tree, but the dish was no longer in use. A defunct television company called Hampton Roads Choice had cut the cable improperly at the base, and the family filed a lawsuit alleging that national electrical codes had been broken.
The settlement agreement was reached after more than three years of legal battles, and the Frays will receive about $10.5 million over the course of Logan’s life, as the $4.675 million grows with interest and an increase in the value of the dollar over time. The company that came out of Hampton Roads Choice will pay out $3.5 million, while Dominion Virginia Power, the company that owned the power line Logan hit, and Atrex Inc., the subcontractor who installed and cut the cable hanging from the tree, settled for a combined total of $1.175 million.
Logan is slowly recovering from his injuries. His father’s quick thinking could have saved his life, as Logan started foaming at the mouth after the shock, and screaming in pain waiting for the ambulance to arrive at their home in Deep Creek. Logan was transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital before being transferred to Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters. He was then flown to Cincinnati based Shriners Hospital for Children to be treated for burns.
Logan suffered burns to the majority of his body, including his face, neck, and chest, and underwent three months of surgeries. He also suffered from cataracts caused by the electrical shock, but surgery has left his vision all right. Logan faces unimaginable challenges, but hopefully the settlement money will work to make his life a little bit easier.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Parrish Law Firm child injury attorney works with northern Virginia residents whose children have suffered injuries because of another party’s negligent actions. Our goal it to get you fair compensation that can make the life of your child easier. Contact us today for a free case consultation, or call us at 703-906-4229.
A representative of the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC researched and wrote this article with Mr. Parrish’s consent. If you have any questions regarding the legal implications of what you have just read, please send us your question by clicking here so we can have our attorney review it.