When you were 7 years old with your hand caught in the cookie jar, you might have tried to lie your way out of trouble. Back then, the worst that would happen is a quick scolding. When you’re an adult, lying can have much more severe consequences, especially when an accident or collision is involved. Sadly, at the Parrish Law Firm, we’ve heard of far too many cases where the other party lied about the moments leading up to and after an accident.
So what should you do if an at-fault driver lies to get out of fault? Let’s talk about it.
Why Would the At-Fault Driver Lie?
You may be asking yourself why an at-fault driver would lie and risk insurance fraud. To avoid liability related to the accident, of course. If they can put the blame on another party, they may be able to get away without their insurance premium increasing. They also may successfully duck the law and could potentially be held unaccountable for their actions. At the very least, they may be able to shift some of the negligence they practiced before or during the accident, leaving them with a lesser penalty.
How Can I Combat Their Lies?
There are a few things you can do to make sure you are heard and seem like a reliable, trustworthy individual.
- Make sure to get your story straight. Think through your experience thoroughly. Write it down if you have to. Keeping consistent with your story is step one to building trust.
- File a claim with the police. By telling the officer your side of the story, you are creating a record of your events. If you suspect the at-fault driver is lying to the police, be sure to let the officer know. They will likely investigate the matter further.
- Take photos. Photos from an accident can give weight to your claim as the truthful one. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Talk to onlookers and witnesses. Talk to witnesses that observed what happened as they may be able to corroborate your story. Be sure to collect contact information from witnesses in the event that you require their statement in the future.
- Connect with a personal injury lawyer. The Parrish Law Firm will work diligently on your behalf to investigate and gather evidence to help you prove that the other driver is at-fault.
If you have been in an accident and the at-fault driver lied to avoid liability, contact the Parrish Law Firm for a free legal consultation at (571) 229 – 1800 or contact us here.
About Jim Parrish
Jim Parrish’s vision has always been to bring peace to clients whose lives have been turned upside down by their personal injuries and from dealing with unscrupulous insurance companies. With over 20 years of personal injury experience, as well as prior experience working with the insurance companies, Jim is well versed in the tricky ways that insurance companies try to scheme their way out of paying damages to deserving injured persons.
For the first several years of his career, Jim Parrish worked for, provided advice to and represented insurance companies in claims across the nation. However, after seeing the injustice of good people being deprived of fair and reasonable payment for life-changing injuries and damage, Jim decided to use the skills and knowledge he learned from inside the insurance industry to champion the rights of victims of harm and wrongdoing.
Jim’s practice is exclusively limited to personal injury matters arising from car/motorcycle/trucking accidents, dog attacks, products liability, and more.
If you have been involved in a personal injury, call the Parrish Law Firm for a FREE legal consultation today at (571) 364 – 6307 or message us here.