Adults who are 65 and over face risks inside the home that most of us do not face. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, fires and falls are the leading causes of death and accidental injury for senior citizens. Safe guarding your home against these possible dangers is an easy way to prevent accidents before they happen.
Tips to Safeguard Against Falls
- Take care when getting up from a sitting or lying down position; the slower, the better.
- Make sure stairways are adequately lit, and always use the handrails when going both up and down the stairs.
- Purchase a stable step stool equipped with a top handrail for use in your home, and never climb on anything without someone else present.
- Keep emergency numbers readily accessible in the event that you fall and need to get help.
- Install slip-proof surfaces and grab bars in your shower or/and bathtub.
- Clear away any and all debris from underfoot that could potentially cause you to trip. These may include cords, loose carpeting, etc. Make sure mats, rugs and other similar surfaces are skid-proof.
Tips to Safeguard Against Fires
- Never smoke in bed.
- Have a fire emergency escape plan that you have practiced and are familiar with.
- Smoke alarms should be placed in every bedroom in the house, as well as outside each sleeping area and on each floor.
- Keep space heaters well away from any flammable materials. A certified professional should check all fuel-burning appliances yearly.
- Carbon monoxide detectors (CO) should be placed outside each sleeping area.
The Virginia personal injury lawyer at Parrish Law Firm, PLLC works with residents who have been injured in slip and fall accidents. Contact us today at 703-906-4229 or fill out a free case consultation form.