- In tractor trailer accidents, 98% of fatalities occur to the individuals in the passenger vehicles.
- One out of every eight traffic fatality involves a trucking collision.
- Trucking revenues totaled $610 billion last year and revenues are estimated to nearly double by 2015 = More Trucks on the road.
2009 Virginia Tractor Trailer Accident Fatalities = 75
- Interstate Highway = 35
- Other Principal Arterial = 15
- Minor Arterial = 16
- Collector = 5
- Local Road/Street = 3
- Unknown = 1
2009 U.S. Tractor Trailer Accident Fatalities = 3,215
- Interstate Highway = 926
- Other Principal Arterial = 1,081
- Minor Arterial = 532
- Collector = 423
- Local Road/Street = 229
- Unknown = 24
**Efforts have been made to provide the most accurate and complete MCMIS Crash data possible http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/CrashProfile/Crash1.ASP.
Estimated Number of Trucks in Crashes by Crash Type
Type – Number* – Percent**
- Rear End 33,000 23.- 1%
- Ran off Road/Out of Lane 25,000 – 17.8%
- Side Swipe, Same Direction 15,000 – 10.3%
- Rollover 13,000 – 8.9%
- Turning across Path/into Path 11,000 – 8.0%
- Intersecting Vehicles, Straight Paths 8,000 – 5.8%
- Side Swipe, Opposite Direction 6,000 – 4.6%
- Head-on 4,000 – 3.0%
- Hit Object in Road 3,000 – 1.8%
- No Impact (fire, jackknife, other,) 1,000 – 0.9%
- Backing into Other Vehicle *** 0.3%
- Other Crash Type 22,000 – 15.5%
- Total Trucks 141,000 -100.0%
* Numbers rounded to closest 1,000.
** Percent calculated on unrounded estimates.
*** Weighted numbers lower than 500 are rounded to zero.
Source: LTCCS Database, July 2005
Did you know that one out of every eight automotive accident fatalities involve large trucks such as big rigs, tractor trailers and other commercial vehicles (Service company Vehicles etc.)? Did you also know that four percent of all injuries sustained in motor vehicle crashes are caused by large trucks? When a commercial truck, big rig, and/or tractor trailer is involved in an accident, 86 percent of fatalities and 77 percent of those injured are the drivers and passengers of the smaller vehicles involved in the crash.
The Parrish Law Firm Tractor Trailer Accident Attorney works with Northern Virginia residents who have been injured because of another party’s negligence and are looking for fair compensation. Contact us today for a free case consultation or call us at 703-906-4229.
A representative of the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC researched and wrote this article with Mr. Parrish’s consent. If you have any questions regarding the legal implications of what you have just read, please send us your question by clicking here so we can have our attorney review it.