2.4 million people sustain a traumatic brain injury (TBI) each year. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Injury Prevention, the leading causes of TBI are:
- Falls (35.2%)
- Motor vehicle-traffic crashes (17.3%)
- Struck by/against events (16.5%)
- Assaults (10%)
Lifetime Cost of Brain Injury
The average cost for a 20 year old sustaining a TBI is $500,000 per year. Following are more figures on the cost of brain injury from The Brain Injury Association:
- Average hospital-based acute rehabilitation: $8,000 per day.
- Range for post-acute residential rehabilitation: $850-$2,500 a day.
- Day treatment programs (such as four hours of outpatient therapy): $600 to $1,000.
According to The Southern Caregiver Resource Center an estimate of medical and non-medical (e.g., home modifications, vocational rehab, health insurance) per TBI survivor averages $151,587.7.
Acute Rehabilitation Costs for survivors of a severe TBI have been shown to average $110,891 per person, or about $1,000 per day. The average length of stay for these severely injured persons in acute rehab is about 55 days
Types of Severe TBI
There are two types of severe TBI, each described below by associated causes:
- Closed – an injury to the brain caused by movement of the brain within the skull. Causes may include falls, motor vehicle crash, or being struck by or with an object.
- Penetrating – an injury to the brain caused by a foreign object entering the skull. Causes may include firearm injuries or being struck with a sharp object.
The Parrish Law Firm, Brain Injury attorney works with northern Virginia residents who have been injured in accidents and who are looking for fair compensation. Contact us today for a “no fee charged”, case consultation,or call us at 703-906-4229.
A representative of the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC researched and wrote this article with Mr. Parrish’s consent. If you have any questions regarding the legal implications of what you have just read, please contact us.