Is It Worth Getting a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Getting a lawyer after a car accident is ultimately your choice. It can be worth hiring a lawyer for several reasons, however. A lawyer can help you understand what a fair settlement or award amount looks like for your case. Then, they can negotiate with the liable party’s insurance company or other lawyers to ensure you seek every penny available.
You may not want to deal with challenges like these in the aftermath of an accident. A lawyer can handle all the legal tasks while you focus on other matters—including recovering from your injuries.
Top Reasons to Consider Hiring a Lawyer After a Car Accident
Choosing to work with a car accident lawyer can prove invaluable for your case. Here’s what you should know about the benefits:
A Lawyer Can Determine If an Insurance Company’s Offer Is Fair
Many people wonder if the offer they receive from an insurance company reflects an accurate assessment of their losses. A lawyer can determine what a fair offer should look like in your case. If the insurance company’s first offer doesn’t cover your true costs and losses, a lawyer can explain why – then seek the compensation you deserve. They can then handle the out-of-court negotiations or lawsuit proceedings.
Injury lawyers know about many forms of compensation you could seek after a car accident. They can tell you if you qualify to seek a recovery for:
- Past, present, and future medical bills
- “Pain and suffering” and inconvenience
- Lost income and reduced earning capacity
Ultimately, a lawyer’s goal is to ensure that you don’t have to cover your car accident expenses on your own. Unfortunately, if you handle your case on your own, it is all too easy to end up accepting a settlement that doesn’t fully cover your losses.
You Can Hire a Lawyer Based on Contingency Fees
Some injury lawyers work based on contingency fees, which means that hiring a lawyer can come with no financial risk to you.
Here’s what you should know about contingency fees:
- You won’t owe any payment up front (such as hourly rates or retainers).
- You only pay your lawyer if you receive a settlement or award.
- An injury lawyer should explain the percentage-based amount they will receive upon successful conclusion of your case.
In other words, you don’t have to worry about paying out of your savings to get legal help. When a lawyer works based on contingency, their motivation to win the case is aligned with yours.
A Lawyer Can Help You With Aggressive or Unfair Insurance Tactics
Insurance companies are just that: companies. As such, they have a bottom line to protect. An injury lawyer is familiar with the many ways that an insurance company can work to reduce your payout, including:
- Delaying fulfillment of your claim
- Claiming that you were more responsible for the crash than you were
- Claiming that you had a pre-existing condition and your injuries weren’t related to the crash
- Claiming that you aren’t as injured as you say
- Asking you to make a recorded statement and using this to harm your case
A Lawyer Can Explain All Your Legal Options
In some situations, you’ll be able to seek a fair offer through out-of-court negotiations. On the other hand, if the insurance company refuses to make a fair offer, you can pursue other legal options.
If you hire a lawyer, they can help you understand how to file a lawsuit and take your case to trial. They can also handle all the tasks involved in bringing a lawsuit, such as submitting crucial paperwork and preparing evidence.
Get a Free Case Review To Determine if a Law Firm Is Right for You
You should know that you can often get a free case review from a law firm. By taking advantage of this consultation, you can determine if a law firm is right for you.
Many people may not know where to start in hiring a lawyer. Consider these tips to ensure you make the best possible choice:
- Ask questions about service: During your case review, ask the team member about what to expect if you work with their lawyers. Will you be working mainly with a case manager? When and how will you work with a lawyer? How will you receive updates about your case? The answers can help you determine if the firm meets your standards for service. After all, the legal process can take weeks or months, and you’ll want to know what to expect of your legal team.
- Ask questions about your case: The case review is also your chance to learn more about your case’s potential, including information about what damages you could seek. You can also ask if the firm has experience with your accident type.
- Ask about legal fees: Last but not least, you should ask the firm how their legal fees work – whether they work based on contingency or through another fee structure.
Call the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC to Learn How Our Car Accident Lawyers Can Help
You don’t have to be alone through the legal process.
Unsure about what to do after a car accident or have questions regarding your auto accident case that remain unanswered? Download our free Virginia Car Accident Guide eBook or give us a call for a free case review at (571) 229-1800.