Manassas Pedestrian Car Accident Law Firm. Speak With our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Today.
Get Your Free Claim Review
Manassas Pedestrian Accident Attorney
As a pedestrian, you should be able to feel safe as you walk along sidewalks, through parking lots, and across intersections. Unfortunately, it only takes a second of driver distraction to leave a pedestrian with serious ─ and many times life-threatening ─ injuries. If you are coping with the pain, medical bills, and overwhelming stress that come with being hurt in this type of accident, you need a skilled and compassionate Manassas pedestrian accident attorney to fight for your rights.
At Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, attorney James R. Parrish is particularly sympathetic to the needs of injured pedestrians because he started his career as an attorney for big insurance companies. In that role, he saw many people who were seriously hurt in pedestrian-car accidents but did not have the representation they needed to fight for compensation from the large companies. Now, Jim puts his in-depth knowledge of the insurance industry to work for clients who need a strong advocate in their corner. His firm’s dedication to customer service has earned it the Client’s Choice Award from AVVO and the Client Satisfaction Award from the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
After an accident where I was physically hit by a car, I needed help to settle a claim with the insurance company. After a year of trying to battle this on my own, James Parrish was able to settle the case and give me what I was entitled to after such a physically and emotionally traumatizing accident. I wish I had not wasted all my time and gone straight to him! He was extremely helpful and kept me informed throughout the entire process. I definitely recommend James Parrish.
What Compensation Is Available After a Pedestrian Accident?
When a pedestrian is injured by a careless driver or is put in harm’s way because a roadway, crosswalk, or intersection was negligently designed or maintained, an experienced attorney can help determine who is at fault and what compensation the injured person needs. A knowledgeable Manassas pedestrian accident attorney will likely pursue compensation for costs such as:
- Medical bills. This category typically includes doctor’s bills, hospital stays, surgeries, medical devices and medication, and rehabilitation or therapy, such as physical therapy to rebuild muscles after a broken bone has healed.
- Lost wages. If the pedestrian is injured and cannot work, compensation may cover part or all of the wages the person would have earned by going to work, if he or she had not been injured. If the injuries are so severe that the person cannot return to work at all, compensation may also cover the value of lost future wages.
- Lost value of household services. A pedestrian who can no longer do his or her usual household chores, such as childcare, cleaning, or yard work, may be able to recover compensation, especially if he or she had to hire someone else to take on these important tasks instead.
- Pain and suffering. The pain and suffering associated with a pedestrian accident is both physical and psychological. Severe injuries and the limitations they impose cause pain and suffering, as does the trauma resulting from the accident itself. Compensation in pedestrian accident cases often includes coverage for this pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages. This type of compensation may be available in exceptional cases where the at-fault party is being punished for particularly terrible conduct.
The sources of compensation in a pedestrian-car accident can be complicated. Some pedestrians can find coverage in their own auto insurance policies, even though they were not in a vehicle at the time. Others must turn to the driver’s insurance policy or to other sources. Because filing an insurance claim can involve lots of waiting time and “red tape,” it is important to work with a skilled Manassas pedestrian accident lawyer who understands insurance company procedures. You need someone on your side to fight for your rights and demand full and fair compensation.
Common Types of Pedestrian Accidents
A pedestrian accident occurs when a person is struck by a vehicle, motorcycle, or bicycle while using the public streets or sidewalks. Unfortunately, most of these accidents occur when drivers are not paying proper attention to their surroundings. They do not see a pedestrian, even though they should have, and they cause harm as a result.
Some of the most common types of Virginia pedestrian accidents include:
- Crosswalk and intersection accidents. These accidents may be caused by a negligent driver, or they may result from negligent design or maintenance of the intersection, the crosswalk, or the street signs and signals that direct traffic at that spot.
- School zone accidents. School zones are often full of pedestrians, most of whom are children who are still learning how to be safe while walking and crossing streets. When drivers are not taking extra care, or when crossing guards are not properly trained and paying proper attention, tragedy can result.
- Drunk driver accidents. Intoxication by drugs or alcohol makes it difficult or impossible to drive safely. This includes making it difficult to pay proper attention, spot pedestrians, or predict their movements sufficiently to avoid a crash.
- Runner and jogger accidents. Running, jogging, and walking for fitness are popular, low-cost ways to stay in shape – but it only takes a moment of distraction from a driver to turn a great workout into a massive injury.
- Parking lot accidents. Many drivers assume that there are no rules in a parking lot. When they act accordingly, a pedestrian can easily pay the price.
- Public transportation accidents. Buses and other forms of public transportation work hard to run on time – but serious injuries can result if drivers are not watching for pedestrians, or if bus or train right-of-ways are not clearly marked to prevent pedestrians from crossing them inappropriately.
- Hit-and-run accidents. Pedestrians who are struck by a driver who then leaves the scene face an uphill battle: To hold the driver accountable, they must first find the driver, which can be difficult.
No matter the circumstances of your particular accident, if you are a pedestrian who was hit by a careless driver, you need a dedicated attorney to fight for your rights. You should know that the insurance companies are out for themselves, and their goal is to pay you as little for your injuries as possible. Don’t let them push you into accepting an unfair settlement offer before talking to an experienced attorney.
Contact a Manassas Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
Attorney Jim Parrish knows how tough it can be for injured pedestrians to get maximum compensation from insurance companies, or to hold a driver liable for the harm he or she has caused. That’s why the entire team at Parrish Law Firm, PLLC is dedicated to getting to know our clients on a personal level. When we understand how the injury has changed your life and what you need, we can fight for maximum compensation for you and your family.
To learn more about how we serve injured clients in Manassas, Fairfax, Warrenton, and across Northern Virginia, contact our office today. As always, your initial consultation is free and confidential.