Haymarket Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents in Haymarket, Virginia, are a part of life. Unfortunately, every time you get in your car, you are putting yourself at risk. For the most part, these accidents result in injuries, like a broken bone or a concussion. However, some cases involve fatalities.
We are deeply sorry if you are seeking compensation because you lost a loved one in a deadly car accident. These cases are more troubling than standard personal injury cases. We want to support you and your family as you piece your life back together. A Haymarket, VA fatal car accident lawyer from the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, can evaluate your case and determine your eligibility for compensation.
Working With a Lawyer for Your Fatal Car Accident Case
Fatal car accident cases are uniquely challenging. First, of course, it is extremely difficult to lose a loved one. But, when you add the additional stress of insurance negotiations and hospital expenses, it is easy to feel overwhelmed.
We are committed to our clients. We want you and your family to be supported as you navigate the aftermath of a fatal car accident. Similarly, our goal is to give you breathing room to focus on what is important, like supporting your family during this challenging time. A fatal car accident attorney can will build your case by doing the following::
- Settlement negotiations: Whether your case involves an insurance claim, out-of-court settlement, or lawsuit, we can manage negotiations. We have years of experience with car accident cases, so we know what to expect. Our goal is to secure you the best settlement possible during this process.
- Building your case: Fatal car accident cases necessitate evidence and lots of it. We can review the facts of your case and conduct a thorough investigation.
- Making matters simple: Legal issues are complicated, particularly for those who did not attend law school. For the average person, terms like discovery, or motions, may as well be a foreign language. That is where we come in. We can answer your questions and ensure that you know what is going on with your case.
- Handling insurers: Your case may involve dealing with insurers. Jim Parrish, our lead attorney, used to work as a legal representative for insurers. He can use this knowledge from inside the insurance industry to defend your rights.
- Taking your case to court: Sometimes, fatal car accident cases require lawsuits. If your case requires legal action, we are not afraid of going to court. We will be right by your side every step of the way and can tell you what to expect inside the courtroom.
Notable Fatal Car Accident Case Results
We have worked on several fatal car accident cases in the past. Some of the verdicts in these cases have totaled above a million dollars:
- $1.4 million for a young man who lost his family in a head-on collision: In this case, a young man lost his family in a head-on collision with an older driver. We negotiated with the at-fault party’s insurer and the client’s insurer to secure the $1.4 million settlement.
- $700,000 for the mother of a young woman who passed away in a tractor-trailer crash: In this contested case, police reports initially suggested that fault was not involved. The insurer of the tractor-trailer driver pointed to this fact to argue that the mother had no right to damages. However, we proved that the tractor-trailer driver behaved negligently, which led to us winning the case for our client.
The Cost of Hiring an Attorney for a Fatal Car Accident
According to the National Safety Council, the average cost of a fatal car accident in the U.S. is $1,750,000. This total includes medical expenses and lost wages, among other data points. Generally, though, losing a loved one can put you under significant financial stress.
We keep things simple for you by working on a contingency-fee basis, which means that:
- We will not ask for any upfront payments
- We can evaluate your case free of charge
- We only get paid if you win – this payment will come as a previously agreed-upon percentage of your settlement offer.
Fatal Car Accident Compensation
A wrongful death settlement, unfortunately, cannot bring your loved one back. However, it can help your family deal with the financial stress of losing a loved one. This way, you can dedicate energy to recovery instead of worrying about your bills. Under Virginia law, compensation you could receive in a wrongful death case is:
- Burial expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Hospital expenses incurred before the passing of your loved one
- Sorrow, mental anguish, and solace
During an initial consultation, we can discuss which damages apply to your case. This can help you understand what losses you could receive compensation for.
Who Can Pursue a Wrongful Death Case?
In some states, all family members can pursue wrongful death cases. However, the only party permitted to pursue legal action in Virginia is a personal representative. The personal representative oversees a deceased person’s finances and can be appointed by a will, the deceased person’s family, or a local court.
During this process, the personal representative will state the beneficiaries, who can include:
- A surviving spouse
- Surviving children
- Surviving grandchildren
- Another family member who was dependent on the deceased
Put simply, if you are a member of this group, you could qualify for compensation. As you may have noticed, these cases are more complicated than standard personal injury cases. Our legal team can explain the details of this process to avoid confusion.
Causes of Fatal Car Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the three leading causes of fatal car accidents are:
- Drunk driving
- Not wearing a seatbelt
Other risky behaviors, like ignoring roadway signage or distracted driving, can cause fatal accidents , too. After a fatal car accident, it is vital to determine the cause of the deadly crash. If you hope to receive compensation, you must prove that someone’s negligence caused the passing of your loved one. A fatal car accident lawyer can review the available evidence to identify the root cause of your loved one’s passing.
Contact a Haymarket Fatal Car Accident Attorney to Discuss Your Case Today
As a Haymarket resident, you are entitled to legal representation. A Haymarket, VA fatal car accident lawyer from the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, can manage your case from start to finish. Let us help you and your family bounce back. Call us for a free claim review.