A study published in the journal Surgery analyzing medical malpractice claims revealed shocking statistics about surgical errors, reports Futurity.org. According to the study, surgeons make thousands of serious errors every year during operations. Here are some of the findings:
- Leaving a sponge or towel in the body after surgery- 40 patients per week.
- Performing surgery on the wrong side of the body- 20 patients per week.
- Performing the wrong operation- 20 patients per week.
- Number of incidents that occur each year: over 4,000
- Estimated number of incidents that have occurred from 1990-2010: 80,000
Consequences of surgical errors
- 9,744 paid malpractice judgments and claims over 20 years.
- $1.3 billion worth of total payments.
- Death in 6.6% of patients.
- Permanent injury in 32.9% of patients.
- Temporary injury in 59.2% of patients.
Parrish Law Firm, PLLC has years of experience working with insurance companies and will use its expertise to obtain compensation from the hospital or doctor responsible for injuries. Call us today at 703-906-4229, or fill out a free case consultation form.