Anyone who uses a CPAP, BiPAP, or another mechanical ventilator to treat sleep apnea or other conditions knows how crucial these devices can be for breathing assistance. However, a recent recall of these devices from Philips Respironics has thousands of CPAP and BiPAP users wondering if they faced more harm than good from a ventilator.
If you’re dealing with health concerns after using a Philips Respironics ventilator, you could have legal options. Our Manassas CPAP lawsuit lawyer can help. At the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, we can tell you more about pending lawsuits against Philips, evaluate your case, and help you take action to recover damages. Our CPAP lawsuit lawyers provide free case reviews so you can readily learn your options.
What’s the Problem with Philips Respironics Devices?
In June of 2021, Philips issued a recall of many devices in the Philips Respironics product line. According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), concerning defects with these products led to the recall, including an issue with a noise- and vibration- canceling foam that degraded inside the machines.
As a result of these defects, users could face many serious health concerns.
Symptoms Related to Philips CPAP, BiPAP, and Other Mechanical Ventilators
The FDA notes that users of Philips Respironics devices could be at risk of cancer-causing effects on many organs. It’s possible to bring legal action if you face any range of cancers, including kidney and liver cancer.
You could also face other serious symptoms and injuries, including:
- Chest pain
- Irritation to the respiratory tract, nose, eyes, and skin
You could face other symptoms beyond those listed here.
Which Devices Are Affected By the Recall?
More than a dozen Philips Respironics products have been recalled, including continuous and non-continuous ventilators.
Affected CPAP, BiPAP, and other mechanical ventilators include:
- DreamStation ASV
- DreamStation Go
- DreamStation ST, AVAPS
- Dorma 500
- Dorma 400
- A-Series BiPAP A40 (ventilator)
- A-Series BiPAP Hybrid A30
- A-Series BiPAP V30 Auto (ventilator)
- A-Series BiPAP A30
- C-Series S/T and AVAPS
- C-Series ASV (ventilator)
- REMstar SE Auto
- OmniLab Advanced+
- Garbin Plus, Aeris, LifeVent (ventilator)
- Trilogy 100 (ventilator)
- Trilogy 200 (ventilator)
- SystemOne ASV4
- SystemOne (Q-Series)
To be certain your device was (or was not) affected by the recall, consult information from Philips Respironics.
You Could Seek Compensation for Your Health Complications and More
If you used one of the above Philips devices, you could take legal action. Several forms of compensation could be available through a lawsuit, including a recovery for your:
Medical Bills for Past, Present, and Future Treatment
Treating cancer, respiratory conditions, and other serious health problems can easily cost you thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. You could be getting treatment for months or even years, depending on the severity of your condition.
You shouldn’t have to pay out of pocket for health problems a negligent manufacturer caused. You could get compensation to cover the costs of:
- Diagnostic testing
- Emergency care and ambulance services
- Appointments with a doctor
- Specialist appointments
- Chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and other cancer treatments
- Asthma treatments
- Prescription drugs
Compensation for other types of treatment may be available.
Other Compensable Losses
Your medical bills aren’t the only types of losses you could face from a defective medical device. Because of your health challenges, you could face many other impacts on your life and career, including:
- Lost income
- Reduced earning capacity
- “Pain and suffering” and inconvenience
- Reduced enjoyment of life
- Mental anguish
If you lost a loved one to their health challenges, we are truly sorry for your loss. Our attorneys can also help you file a wrongful death lawsuit and seek damages related to your loved one’s passing.
Manassas CPAP Lawsuit Lawyer Near Me 571-229-1800
Our Manassas Lawyers Could Help If You Were Harmed By a Philips Product
You don’t have to handle the legal details of a lawsuit on your own. Our attorneys will help you understand all your options and manage every step of your CPAP or BiPAP lawsuit.
First, we’ll offer you a free case review. During this call, we will:
- Listen to your story. We know that this may be the first time you’re sharing information about your health condition and asking questions about the Philips lawsuit. A caring team member will take the time to learn more about what you’re experiencing.
- Explain your legal options. If we think you could have a case for compensation, we’ll tell you. We’ll also explain how the lawsuit process will work, how we’ll keep you updated throughout your case, and answer any other questions you have.
What to Expect If You Hire Our Team to Handle Your CPAP or BiPAP Lawsuit
Next, if you choose to hire our lawyers Manassas, we’ll get to work on your case right away. Your CPAP lawsuit attorney will:
- Investigate your case. We’ll start by learning more about your health. Your lawyer will get information from your medical records, your doctors, and other providers to understand how a CPAP or BiPAP device affected your health and life.
- Gather crucial evidence. A strong case requires strong evidence. We will work with experts who can provide testimony validating your condition and linking it to the defective device.
- Prepare for any challenges to your case. Our founding attorney, Jim Parrish, knows what to expect when bringing a lawsuit against a major corporation such as Philips. Specifically, our team knows that these companies have a legal team behind them seeking to find cracks in your case. Thankfully, we are familiar with these strategies and will know how to prepare the most compelling arguments for compensation.
- File a lawsuit and negotiate a settlement. We’ll handle all the paperwork involved in a lawsuit. We’ll also handle all conversations with the liable party’s representatives, seeking the fairest possible settlement for you.
We can help you with other legal tasks beyond those listed here.
Additionally, we will stand by your side. We’ll translate the legalese and ensure you understand what’s going on with your case at all times.
Commonly Asked Questions in the Lawsuits Against Philips
Bringing a lawsuit against a major corporation can seem daunting. However, this isn’t our first time seeking justice against a negligent organization. We’ll offer you the answers you need as you get started on your case.
What Should I Do Next If I Was Affected By the Recall?
If you used a medical device that was part of the Philips recall, we recommend taking these steps:
- Be sure to see a doctor. If you haven’t already done so, see a doctor to get diagnosed and start necessary treatment. Documentation that you were harmed can benefit your case. Additionally, starting treatment means you’ll be protecting your health, too.
- Get a free case review from our team. We can tell you if you may have a case and make additional recommendations for bringing a lawsuit.
How Much Could I Get in a Settlement?
The lawsuits against Philips are still pending, so there are no known settlement amounts yet.
However, we can tell you the types of damages you could qualify to seek, such as damages for your medical bills, “pain and suffering” and inconvenience, and more. Once the trials against Philips have a verdict, or once Philips offers its first settlements to victims, we can tell you more about what you could receive based on the unique details of your case.
What Iis the Status of the Lawsuit Against Philips?
Philips Respironics is facing lawsuits related to product defect claims, failure to warn consumers of safety risks related to the product, and other claims. Lawsuits from across the country were consolidated in October of 2021 as a multidistrict litigation case, MDL No. 3014.
Next, bellwether trials will proceed. These trials offer a chance for key plaintiffs to test their cases. The result of these trials can help indicate what kinds of settlements may be available for other injury victims.
In November 2021, the FDA released a report to offer additional evidence against Philips. In this investigation, the FDA noted that Philips knew of complaints about the Respironics devices as early as 2008 – and failed to conduct safety tests or warn the public until 2017.
How Much Does It Cost to Work with a Lawyer?
Hiring a lawyer does not have to be a financial strain. Our team works on contingency, which means we only receive a payment if we win your case. You don’t have to pay any hourly rates, retainers, or other upfront fees to get started.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get a Free Case Review to Learn Your Next Steps with a CPAP Lawsuit
You don’t have to be alone in your case. Our Manassas attorneys will explain your options to file a CPAP lawsuit or join the existing MDL against Philips Respironics. Let the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC get to work seeking the compensation you deserve. We’ll seek damages to help you pay for medical needs and other losses related to a defective CPAP, BiPAP, or other ventilator device.
Call us today for your free consultation: (571) 229-1800. We are ready to fight for justice for injury victims across Eastern Virginia.