Personal Injury Lawyer in Fairfax County
Get Your Free Claim Review
Whether it is a motor vehicle accident or a slip and fall, many Virginia accidents result from the negligence of another party. Victims can — and should — hold negligent parties accountable for the physical, emotional, and financial pain they cause. The team at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC is committed to helping accident victims like you pursue the compensation you deserve. Contact a personal injury lawyer in Fairfax County to discuss your legal options: 571-229-1800.
What should I do if I have sustained a Fairfax County personal injury?
A serious injury can leave you feeling lost. But there are a few things you need to do to protect yourself and your right to compensation.
Seek Medical Attention
You should always go to the emergency room or doctor’s office regardless of whether you think you suffered injury. Many symptoms remain hidden for hours or even days after an injury. By seeking medical attention soon after an injury, you can protect yourself physically and tie your injuries to the incident that occurred.
Make sure you are consistent with your medical care. If you disobey doctor’s orders or skip appointments, you can give insurers reason to deny or reduce your claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Us
After seeking medical treatment for your injuries, you should meet with one of our personal injury attorneys to discuss your legal options. We handle the following types of personal injury cases.
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Dog bite injuries
At your consultation, you can expect to discuss:
- The accident itself: Our attorneys will ask you to describe the accident in detail. We will also ask follow-up questions to make sure you have told us everything you know about what happened. Some facts may seem irrelevant or even detrimental to your case, but we still encourage you to tell us everything, as we may end up needing that information later in the process.
- Potential witnesses: If any other parties were present at the time of the accident, we will want to talk to them about what happened and potentially ask them to testify on your behalf, if necessary. If you have a list of eyewitnesses from the accident, that would be very helpful.
- Your medical history and injuries from the accident: We will need a clear picture of your injuries from the accident, treatments you have received, and your current physical condition. We may also ask you to authorize the release of your medical information from your health care provider so that we can obtain your medical records. If we decide to go forward with your case, these medical records will be critical to proving your case in court.
- Next steps: We will let you know our opinion of your case and what we think you should do next. We will also let you know what to expect and how long it could take.
Why should I hire the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC for my claim?
Many people assume they do not need a lawyer because they are only filing an insurance claim. However, these people end up realizing too late that they do not have the experience necessary to be successful in these claims and often do small things that jeopardize their case or reduce the compensation they are entitled to. Our firm will do everything we can to ensure you get the money you deserve.
And because our firm only handles personal injury cases, you can be sure we have the experience and knowledge necessary to help you recover compensation. Below, we detail a few things you can expect we will do during your case:
Once we have determined the liable, or responsible party(s), we will work on proving negligence. As your attorneys, our goal is to prove that the defendant(s) in your case were at-fault for your accident and are, therefore, liable for your injuries.
To prove negligence, we will need to prove the defendant(s) owed you a duty and breached that duty. For example, store owners must inspect their properties for dangerous conditions and fix said conditions before a customer suffers an injury. If we can prove that the store owner in your case was aware of the dangerous condition that caused your accident but did nothing to fix it, we can establish the store owner’s negligence caused your accident.
We must also prove the negligence caused your injuries. Typically, we will find experts to testify to the nature and extent of your injuries and to the causation of your accident. For example, medical professionals and accident reconstructionists can testify as to the cause of an accident and a subsequent injury. Your medical records will also give an account of your medical history and whether any conditions emerged or worsened due to the accident.
If your claim is successful, you will be entitled to damages. The more severe your accident was, the more you will likely receive. The most common damages awarded in personal injury cases include:
- Medical expenses: The amount you receive for medical costs will depend on the medical bills you incurred and any bills you may later receive for future treatment and therapy. We may call on medical experts to testify regarding your need for ongoing treatment.
- Lost wages and future lost income: Many accident victims are unable to work as they recover from their injuries and are unable to earn wages, pensions, bonuses, and other work-related benefits. Some are never able to return to the job they had before the accident. We will use your pay stubs and employment records to prove your wage losses and have experts testify regarding your current and future earning capacity.
- Noneconomic damages: While medical expenses and lost wages are tangible amounts, noneconomic damages such as “pain and suffering” and inconvenience damages are not necessarily quantifiable. We will use your economic damages as a basis for this total.
Protecting You from Insurers
Insurers do not want to pay you for an accident; if they do, they lose money. For that reason, they will do what they can to place the blame on you and reduce your settlement or deny your claim completely. This often includes pulling tricks on vulnerable victims. We will not allow this to happen. Jim Parrish used to defend the insurance companies so he knows these tricks. More importantly, he knows how to defend against them.
Schedule a free consultation with us.
If you have suffered injuries in a personal injury accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to legal compensation. The attorneys at Parrish Law Firm have helped countless accident victims recover damages to pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and many other accident-related expenses. To speak with a qualified Fairfax County personal injury lawyer about the best course of action to take in your situation, contact us at 571-229-1800.