Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Vienna, VA
Get Your Free Claim Review
In Vienna and across the state of Virginia, the temperate climate and beautiful roads are a haven for cycling, for both recreational bicyclists and those who commute to and from work. In fact, Vienna even has its own Bicycle Advisory Committee. However, while cyclists are permitted to share public streets with cars, it is not uncommon for motorists to refuse to yield right of way or miss an approaching bicyclist because of distracted driving, speeding, or intoxication.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle, another bicycle, or pedestrian, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. Unfortunately, as with any type of insurance claim, many insurance companies will do everything in their power to avoid paying victims of bicycle accidents. That is where a bicycle accident lawyer in Vienna, VA comes in.
Call us today at 571-229-1800 for your free and confidential consultation.
Types of Compensation You May Be Eligible for After a Bicycle Crash
Sadly, bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles often result in serious injury. Without the safe enclosure of a vehicle, the cyclist is especially vulnerable.
A bicycle accident lawyer in Vienna, VA may be able to help you obtain compensation for the following damages if you have been injured due to the negligence of another:
- Medical expenses, including current, past, and future coverage for medications, durable medical equipment, doctor’s visits, hospital and surgical costs, and physical therapy.
- Lost income, including future wages, if you are unable to work due to your injuries.
- Pain and suffering
- Alternative transportation costs
- Household service costs
Common Injuries Associated with Bicycle Accidents
Traumatic brain injuries, and damage to the spinal cord are common serious injuries related to bicycle accidents. Other injuries include broken bones, skin lacerations, “road rash,” and post-traumatic stress disorder.
If your bicycle accident injuries are due to another’s negligence, you may be able to seek compensation from the other person’s applicable insurance policies. But filing a bicycle accident claim with insurers can be extremely complex. A Vienna injury attorney can help you navigate this process. Contact us today at 571-229-1800 so that you can focus on healing.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents in VA
Bicycle accidents can happen for myriad reasons, but the negligence of other motorists is often a factor. Some of the most common types of bicycle accidents include:
- Rear-end collisions: When a cyclist is rear-ended by a car, the result is often deadly. More often than not, the motorist who rear-ends a cyclist is distracted, speeding, intoxicated, or any combination thereof.
- Left-turn crashes: When a bicyclist is riding straight through an intersection and a motorist attempts to make a left turn into the cyclist’s path, a left-turn crash may occur. Driver distraction, speeding, and failure to survey adequately are often factors in this type of collision.
- Right-turn crashes: These are similar to left-turn crashes, with the exception being that the motorist is turning right rather than left. But there are more differences between these two potentially-deadly accidents than just the direction from which they originate. Right-turn crashes are often the result of a motorist who mistakenly believes the cyclist must yield to cars.
- “Dooring”: When a cyclist is riding past a row of parked cars and a door of one of the cars opens into their path, the resulting crash is known as dooring. Occupants of cars—driver and passengers alike—can prevent these types of accidents by always checking for cyclists before opening a car door.
- Driveway collisions: These accidents can occur when a bicyclist is riding past a driveway as a motorist pulls out. Driveway collisions can result from a driver who failed to properly check for people or objects before backing out of the driveway.
- Wipeouts: Although wipeouts are typically solo accidents, meaning they do not involve another person, they are not always the fault of the cyclist. When negligent road maintenance leads to potholes, oil spills, or loose debris, you may be able to seek compensation from the agency or person responsible for keeping that particular stretch of roadway safe.
Faulty or Defective Bicycle Parts
In some cases, bicycle accidents result from a hidden defect. Even in cases where it is easy to determine negligence—such as in a rear-end crash involving a distracted driver—hidden defects may have contributed to the severity of the accident. A bicycle accident lawyer in Vienna, VA can help you determine if the bicycle or parts manufacturers should be at least partially on the hook for your damages. Call us today to get started: 571-229-1800.
Get Help from a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
Attorney Jim Parrish worked with insurance companies for years, becoming familiar with the tactics they use to deny bicycle accident claims. Today, he and the entire legal team at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC use that knowledge to help injured cyclists and their families obtain the compensation they deserve.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us today at 571-229-1800 for a free and confidential case consultation about your case.