You could be entitled to recover compensation for your damages if you were hit by a car in Vienna, VA. Your case must establish that the driver negligently caused the accident.
Your Legal Options Following a Pedestrian Accident
You may qualify to file an insurance claim and lawsuit against the driver who caused your pedestrian accident. Your case must establish these four things:
- Duty of care: Drivers owe all road users, including pedestrians, a duty of care, meaning they must operate their vehicle in a safe manner and not put others at undue risk.
- Negligence: Operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner or violating a traffic law is negligence and a violation of the duty of care.
- Causation: Your case must link the driver’s negligence (e.g., speeding, drunk driving, etc.) to your accident and injuries. For example, your case may establish that a drunk driver ran a red light, striking you while you were crossing the street in a crosswalk.
- Damages: Your case must also establish that you suffered damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and “pain and suffering” and inconvenience, as a result of the accident.
Our team can help you establish each of these elements with supportive evidence to prove the driver’s liability for your injuries and damages.
Fault for a Pedestrian Accident
Your case must present convincing evidence that establishes that the defendant is at fault for the car accident. Some common causes of pedestrian accidents for which a driver is at fault include:
- Violating Virginia’s crosswalk laws found in Code of Virginia § 46.2-924
- Disregarding traffic signals, including pedestrian signals
- Speeding or other forms of reckless driving
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Driving onto a sidewalk
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
Further, the City of Vienna, Virginia identified a few common scenarios that may lead to pedestrian accidents.
- Crossing a driveway apron: A Pedestrian walks along the sidewalk and crosses a driveway apron at the same time a driver is pulling into the driveway.
- Turning right on red: A Pedestrian is crossing the street at a crosswalk at the same time a motor vehicle makes a right turn on a red light.
To combat such accidents – and all pedestrian accidents – Vienna, VA adopted the Eye to Eye Program that encourages drivers and pedestrians to make eye contact, especially when crossing a street, crosswalk, or driveway.
But if you were the victim of a pedestrian accident, call us for help sorting out liability and pursuing compensation through a personal injury case: 571-229-1800.
Vienna Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 571-229-1800
Recoverable Damages in a Pedestrian Accident Case
Your personal injury case may pursue compensation for any financial losses, physical effects, or mental or emotional distress caused by the accident and your injuries.
Some common types of recoverable damages in pedestrian accident cases are:
- Medical costs, including ambulance, emergency room, hospital, surgical, and follow-up care
- Physical therapy
- Ongoing medical needs, including nursing care, assistive devices, and prostheses
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Loss of employment benefits
- “Pain and suffering” and inconvenience
Your pedestrian accident attorney will investigate your case to identify and fight for all the damages you suffered as a result of your injuries.
How the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC Can Help
Free Consultations About Your Case
Our team offers free consultations about your case. If you were hurt in a pedestrian accident, just call 571-229-1800 to get a free review of your case with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Vienna, VA.
File All Insurance Claims and Lawsuits
Your lawyer will evaluate your case for all appropriate legal options. You may qualify to file a liability claim with the driver’s insurance company, for example. We can also help you pursue a lawsuit.
If the driver who struck you was uninsured, we can help you file an uninsured motorist (UM) coverage claim with your insurance company if you have that coverage. Further, if the driver fled the scene after striking you, your UM insurance may cover you.
Retrieve Documents to Prove Liability
Your case requires supportive evidence to prove the defendant’s liability and to establish the value of your damages. We can help you gather the appropriate documents and retrieve evidence such as:
- Medical bills and records
- Evidence of lost wages
- Photographs of the accident scene or vehicle
- Eyewitness testimony
- Accident reports
Our team may even work with expert witnesses such as medical experts, vocational specialists, lifecare planners, and more.
Knowledge Gained from Inside the Insurance Industry
Attorney Jim Parrish is the founder of the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC. He spent years working as a lawyer for the insurance companies, during which he acquired a wealth of knowledge from inside the industry.
Insurance companies may use various tactics to delay or deny settlement of your claim. Armed with his experience as an insurance company lawyer, Jim Parrish protects his clients from unfair insurance practices.
You Pay No Attorney’s Fees Unless You Get Compensation
We represent victims of pedestrian accidents on a contingency fee basis, meaning we do not get paid unless you do. And you owe no attorney’s fees until you recover compensation for your injuries.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You Have a Limited Time to File a Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit
Virginia allows just two years to file a personal injury lawsuit (Code of Virginia § 8.01-243), including a lawsuit for a pedestrian accident. If you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, your statute of limitations is also two years from the date of death (Code of Virginia § 8.01-244).
If you miss this deadline, you may be unable to file your lawsuit.
Contact our team right away to get started on your case. The sooner you call us, the sooner our team can act.
Call the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC for Help Today
If you were in a car accident as a pedestrian, talk to the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC about your legal options. A pedestrian accident lawyer in Vienna, VA will fight for a fair and successful resolution to your case, so you can get the compensation you deserve.
Call us now at 571-229-1800 to get your free case consultation.