Winter can be a challenging time for kids as the colder weather and shorter days can make it difficult to find exciting activities to keep them occupied. Sadly, it doesn’t snow every single day, but cold weather is pretty much guaranteed. However, with some creativity, there are plenty of fun winter activities that kids can enjoy, both indoors and outdoors.
We put together a few fun ideas to keep your kids occupied all winter long:
- Go ice skating. Ice skating is a fun winter activity that kids love! The beauty of it is that ice skating at your local rink doesn’t require snowfall. If your kids are just starting out, consider taking them to a rink where they can hold onto the sides while they get the hang of it.
- Make crafts. Winter is a great time to get creative and make some fun crafts with your kids. Consider making holiday decorations, such as paper snowflakes or ornaments, or try your hand at some winter-themed art projects. Want to step things up a notch? Get building! Create furniture or even paint old furniture with your kids’ help.
- Play indoor games. There are plenty of indoor games that kids can enjoy on a cold or snowy day. Consider board games, card games, or even a game of hide-and-seek to keep your kids entertained. Charades and Heads Up are our personal favorites!
- Go skiing or snowboarding. If you have access to a ski resort or a hill with good snow, skiing or snowboarding can be a fun winter activity for kids. If your kids are new to these winter sports, consider taking them to a resort with lessons and rentals available. It may even help them develop a lifelong passion!
- Have a movie marathon. If the weather is too cold or snowy to venture outside, have a movie marathon with your kids. Choose some of their favorite movies or TV shows, pop some popcorn, and curl up on the couch for a cozy afternoon or evening in. For slightly older kids, we can’t recommend the Harry Potter series enough!
- Go on a winter hike. If the weather is mild enough, consider going on a winter hike with your kids. This can be a great way to get some fresh air and exercise, and to explore the beauty of the winter landscape. Don’t forget to Leave No Trace while you’re out there!
- Make fun drinks. Now, we know what you’re thinking – “I can’t drink with my kids”…well, that’s not entirely true! A fun weekend routine I have with my kids is to make my morning coffee while they make their morning hot chocolate. We take our hot drinks, bundle up and take a nice morning stroll to get some fresh air. This activity doesn’t have to be limited to just drinks. You can bake or cook as well. Don’t hesitate to get creative!
Read this in the event that is does snow:
- Build a snowman. Building a snowman is a classic winter activity that kids of all ages can enjoy. All you need is some snow, some basic supplies such as carrots for the nose and buttons for the eyes, and a little bit of creativity. Take things to the next level and have a friendly competition with your kids!
- Have a snowball fight. A snowball fight is a fun and exciting way for kids to burn off some energy and have a good time. Just make sure to have some hot cocoa or maybe some cheese fries on hand to warm up afterwards.
By incorporating some of these fun winter activities into your schedule, you can help keep your kids entertained and active during the colder months. Just make sure to dress appropriately for the weather and to take safety precautions when doing outdoor activities!