When a motor vehicle or bicycle hits a person on foot, the pedestrian can sustain severe injuries. Dangerous sidewalk or street conditions can cause harm to walkers or runners. A pedestrian accident lawyer who serves Fauquier County, VA, can help if you got hurt while on foot.
The Parrish Law Firm, PLLC can evaluate your situation at no cost to you to see if you might be eligible to go after money damages for your losses. Call us today at 571-229-1800 for a free consultation.
Protecting You from Insurance Company Defense Tactics
Our firm’s founder, Jim Parrish, used to represent insurance companies in personal injury cases, so he knows how to protect you from the strategies that insurers use to defend against injury claims. Here are some of the pitfalls you need to avoid in pedestrian accident injury claims:
- Accepting a lowball offer. Most people do not know how much they should receive in money damages for their injuries. Also, they do not realize that they have to pay their medical bills and other expenses out of the settlement check. Many people who try to handle their injury claims on their own find out later that they should have received much more money than they did.
- Giving a recorded statement. The insurance company’s claims adjuster might contact you and ask you to give a recorded statement. The adjuster might tell you that the recorded statement is an opportunity for you to tell your side of the story, but in reality, the insurer will use the transcript of the statement to try to pay you less money than they should. They can take your words out of context to mean something you did not intend.
- Settling before completing all medical treatment and physical therapy. You do not know what the future will hold for you until you complete all medical treatments and physical therapy. If you do not have full function after a round of physical therapy, your doctor might need to perform surgery. If you already settled your injury claim, the insurance company will not pay for the surgery. You could have to pay tens of thousands of dollars out of your pocket.
Damages in Pedestrian Accident Injury Cases
The person or party who caused your injuries can be liable for your losses, which can include:
- Lost wages. You might miss time from work without pay because of the injury and recuperation time. The type of damages can include wages, salary, average tips, self-employment, and other forms of income.
- Diminished earning capacity. Pedestrians often suffer severe injuries that can negatively impact their ability to earn a living. If your injuries keep you from making as much money as before, you can seek compensation to make up the difference.
- Medical bills. You can go after the reasonable cost of medical care you needed to treat your injuries from the accident. These expenses can include things like the ambulance, emergency room, surgery, doctors, hospital, prescription drugs, intensive care unit, rehabilitation facility, and physical therapy.
- Future medical expenses. If you sustained a catastrophic injury, you might need ongoing medical treatment or long-term care in your home or in a health care facility. The costs of this care can become astronomical, but you can include these expenses in your claim.
- Intangible losses. Some damages do not have invoices or bills, but you sustained losses nonetheless. This category can include things like “pain and suffering,” inconvenience, disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Fauquier County Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Near Me 571-229-1800
Who Can Be Liable for Your Losses from a Pedestrian Accident in Fauquier County, VA
Whoever caused your pedestrian vs. car accident (or other motor vehicle accident) through carelessness or a wrongful act can be responsible for your damages. If you’ve been in a truck accident in Fauquier County, it’s important to speak with a truck accident lawyer. They can help you understand your legal options and navigate the complexities of your case. The potential defendants can include:
- The driver of the car, truck, or motorcycle that hit you
- A bicyclist who struck you
- A fellow pedestrian who put you in harm’s way
- The city or county agency that caused or failed to correct a dangerous condition on the sidewalk or street
- A construction company, if you got hurt walking near a job site that abutted the sidewalk or street
What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Fauquier County, VA
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Fauquier County, it’s important to seek legal advice from a skilled and experienced motorcycle accident attorney in the area. The first actions you should take after a pedestrian accident will depend on the facts of your case. You should always do what makes sense in your situation.
Here are some suggestions for things you should do after a pedestrian accident:
Seek Medical Attention
You should get medical attention immediately after getting hurt in a pedestrian accident. The trauma team at the emergency room can perform a thorough examination. Sometimes the medical personnel discover injuries you had not yet noticed.
Some injuries, like internal bleeding or damage to your head, neck, or back, do not show symptoms right away. Even broken bones do not always have immediate signs.
We will use your medical records to connect your injuries to the accident, so be sure to tell the intake staff member and the doctor how you got hurt. Doing so will provide the evidence that we need to hold the person who caused the accident responsible for your injuries.
Do not delay in getting medical treatment. If you wait a few days to go to the doctor or emergency room, the insurance company will likely claim that you got hurt from some other event and not the pedestrian accident.
Get Legal Help
The sooner you talk with a pedestrian accident lawyer who serves Fauquier County, VA, the better. You do not want to give the insurance company the opportunity to use one of their tactics to devalue your case.
Once you have a lawyer, the insurer is not supposed to bother you. If they call you to give a recorded statement or for any other reason, tell them to talk to your lawyer. We will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
You do not have to figure out all the legal concepts or go through this on your own. We can answer your questions and navigate your personal injury claim through the entire process. When we take care of your legal matters, you can focus on getting well.