Arlington County Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer

If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a crash with an intoxicated motorist, you deserve to recover compensation. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. A drunk driving accident lawyer in Arlington County at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC can help you recover compensation for your damages and hold the driver liable for the crash that caused your injuries.

Call today at (571) 253-7182 to schedule a free consultation. We know what it takes to build a successful claim and defend it during negotiations with auto insurers. We can handle every step of the claims process, so you can get the money you deserve while focusing on your recovery.

How Does the Claim Process Work?

We file a claim on your behalf against the at-fault driver’s auto insurance company and negotiate a settlement. But first, we gather evidence that strengthens your claim, and that may include:

  • Your medical records showing the severity of your injuries
  • Your physician’s testimony on how your injuries impact your life
  • Eyewitness statements about the accident
  • Photographs or surveillance camera video of the damaged vehicles

If more than two vehicles were involved in the crash, we may have a specialist reconstruct the accident to determine how the crash occurred and the role the drunk driver had in causing the accident.

We would also obtain the police report which indicates the driver’s blood alcohol concentration (BAC). While the criminal charges a driver may face are separate from the claim you file, if a court convicts the driver of DUI, we may include that conviction to potentially increase the value of your claim and to help us prove negligence.

Why Prove Negligence If the Driver Was Convicted?

Virginia requires individuals pursuing compensation to prove their accident was caused by someone else’s negligence and through no fault of their own. So, to hold the drunk driver liable for your damages, we must prove fault by establishing these elements of negligence:

  • The driver owed you a legal duty to operate his vehicle safely.
  • The driver breached that duty by drinking alcohol before getting behind the wheel.
  • The driver’s negligent action of driving while impaired caused the accident and your injuries.
  • You suffered quantifiable damages because of the accident.

What Type of Damages Can I Recover?

You may be entitled to compensation for any of the following economic damages:

  • Hospital costs
  • Medical expenses
  • In-patient rehabilitation
  • Physical therapy
  • Mobility devices (wheelchairs, walkers, canes)
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of future earnings
  • Loss of 401(k) contributions, pension, or Social Security benefits
  • Miscellaneous costs
  • Vehicle repair or replacement costs

You may also seek compensation for the suffering you experienced because of the accident. These damages, called noneconomic damages, include:

  • “Pain and suffering” and inconvenience
  • Mental anguish
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

If your loved one died in the accident, we can file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover the funeral, burial, or cremation costs you paid, the wages your loved one would have earned had he lived, and medical bills related to your loved one’s accident-related injuries.

Punitive Damages

Virginia allows drunk driving victims to pursue punitive damages which are designed to punish the driver’s egregious behavior and deter others from acting in a similar manner. To receive punitive damages, the state requires us to prove the following elements:

  • The driver’s BAC was 0.15 percent or more;
  • As the driver began drinking or during the time he was drinking alcohol, he knew or should have known that alcohol would impair his ability to drive a vehicle; and
  • The driver’s intoxication caused injury or death.

Virginia limits punitive damage awards to $350,000. If the jury verdict exceeds the maximum amount for punitive damages, a judge must reduce the award and enter the $350,000 judgment.

When Should I File a Claim?

Under Virginia’s statute of limitations, you have two years from the date of your accident to file an insurance claim or lawsuit.

However, you should contact our office as soon as possible. If we do not file your claim within those two years, you will be unable to recover any compensation for your injuries.

How Can the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC Help Me with My Case?

Handling an injury claim can seem impossible, especially when you are trying to recover from your injuries and get your life back together. We handle your case from start to finish. This means we file your claim for you, gather all necessary evidence, and handle all communication and negotiations with the insurance company.

We communicate with the insurer for you because insurance companies are notorious for tricking injured victims into accepting a settlement that does not cover their injuries or admitting fault for an accident they did not cause. Jim Parrish knows these tricks because he used to represent insurers. This knowledge from the inside allows him to craft defenses against the insurers tricks before they even attempt to use them.

If the insurer refuses to give you the compensation you deserve, Jim is not afraid to take your case to court.

Call Now for a Free Case Evaluation

You can rely on the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC to aggressively pursue maximum compensation for the losses you suffered because of a drunk driver.

You have no upfront costs because we work on a contingency basis. You do not pay us unless we win your case. Call today for a free consultation: 571-229-1800.

Associations, Memberships & Accolades

Jim Parrish Personal Injury Law Firm Logo
Get in Touch Today (571) 229-1800