Fairfax Paraquat Lawsuit Lawyer
Paraquat is one of the most dangerous yet commonly used herbicides. According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, researchers found that repeated exposure to paraquat – even in small doses – can heighten the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease. Those exposed are two and a half times more likely to contract the disease as opposed to those who have never been exposed.
If you or a loved one suffers from an illness, such as Parkinson’s disease, you may qualify to join a mass tort case after being exposed to paraquat. A Fairfax paraquat lawsuit lawyer with the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, can review your medical records, evaluate your losses, and represent you throughout all legal proceedings.
An Overview of the Role of Paraquat and How It Affects Humans
Paraquat is a weedkiller that is largely used in crop production. Per the United States Geological Survey (USGS), over 10 million pounds of this product were used across the country in 2018.
Despite its widespread use, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classifies paraquat as a restricted use pesticide. Those who use this product must go through proper training and earn a certification. Therefore, private homeowners are not permitted to own or use this herbicide on their property.
Those Who May Be at Risk of Illness After Paraquat Exposure
Anyone who has been exposed to paraquat, particularly people working in agriculture, may be at risk of developing Parkinson’s disease or another illness. However, paraquat exposure could have also posed a threat to:
- Employees who supply, manufacture, or sell paraquat
- Employees who combine elements of paraquat
- Certified applicators of paraquat
- People who live close to farms that use paraquat
How Paraquat Affects Humans
As mentioned, exposure to paraquat has been connected to Parkinson’s disease. According to Mayo Clinic, this illness is a neurodegenerative disorder that usually affects an individual’s movement. The symptoms are barely noticeable at first, but they slowly progress over time. Although the disease affects people differently, common symptoms are:
- Tremors or shaking
- Rigid muscles
- Slowed movement
- Changes in speech
- Poor posture or balance
- Changes in writing
- Loss of automatic movements
Not everyone who ingests paraquat suffers from Parkinson’s disease. For example, if you were exposed to paraquat in larger quantities, you could feel the effects within days or weeks. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that you could have liver, kidney or heart failure, lung scarring, or seizures.
If you experience these symptoms or similar ones, see your doctor. Once they diagnose you, you don’t have to come up with the money to pay off the medical bills and associated expenses alone. You could join a mass tort lawsuit against the manufacturer, Syngenta.
Taking Legal Action After Contracting Parkinson’s Disease Due to Paraquat Exposure
You must understand the different lawsuits you can file after a defective product harms you. Although “class action” and “mass tort” seem similar, there are key differences, such as:
- A class action is when a group of people brings one lawsuit against the defendant. Once the case settles, the plaintiffs divide the award amongst themselves.
- A mass tort case is when each plaintiff files their own lawsuits, but these lawsuits are later consolidated to make the claims process less complicated for the courts.
Those taking action concerning paraquat will submit a mass tort lawsuit. The process for this legal route involves:
- Hiring a lawyer to go over your medical records
- Having that lawyer identify injury consistencies with other plaintiffs suing for the same reason as you
- Filing a federal lawsuit
- Going through the bellwether trials, which is when the most serious cases are tried to get a sense of how the other cases will turn out
- Settling the case, which can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few years
As of November 2021, hundreds of lawsuits have been brought against Syngenta nationwide. Many more are expected to be underway. None have settled yet, so we cannot say the average compensation amount.
The Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, Can Fight for You Throughout the Paraquat Lawsuit Process
Taking legal action on your own, especially against a big corporation, can be intimidating and complicated. Instead, you may want to consider retaining the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC’s, assistance. That way, you can put all your energy and time into treatment while we go after the compensation you need.
A lawyer with our firm will:
- Review your medical history
- Consult your doctors and other medical experts
- Link your injuries or illness to paraquat exposure
- Build an effective case using different forms of evidence
- Take on all communication with all associated parties
- Advise you and represent you during settlement negotiations
- Litigate your case during a trial
It’s easy to get confused when you’re in the middle of working out a mass tort case. However, your lawyer is here to answer your questions and update you throughout your case’s progression.
The Price of Enlisting Our Injury Attorney’s Help in Fairfax, Virginia
You may be hesitant to hire a lawyer from our team. After all, you have a lot to deal with:
- Medical bills
- Not earning wages
- Other expenses that come with a Parkinson’s disease or related diagnosis
However, we will manage your paraquat case at the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, based on contingency. That means:
- Our staff will offer you a free case review at no obligation.
- If we decide to work together, we will finance your case from start to finish.
- We require no upfront payments, hourly fees, or out-of-pocket costs.
If we secure a settlement or verdict when your lawsuit is over, your lawyer would only recover a portion of the total as their payment. Should that not be the case, we would walk away empty-handed. This fee model restricts your financial risk so you can concentrate on your treatment without further pressure.
Damages That May be Available When You File Your Fairfax Paraquat Lawsuit
Different factors will determine the amount and forms of compensation you can recover in your lawsuit, including:
- How you were exposed to paraquat
- The duration of your exposure
- The injury or illness you developed
- Your treatment plan
- If you can work
- Your quality of life
From there, we may conclude that you are eligible to seek damages for:
- Past and future medical costs: If you require diagnostic tests, surgeries, medications, and doctor’s visits
- Lost income: If you couldn’t earn a living while in treatment
- Lost future earning capacity: If your injury or illness keeps you from working the rest of your life
- “Pain and suffering” and inconvenience: If your injury or illness has hindered your quality of life
- Mental anguish: If the injury or illness affects your mental health or causes depression
- Disfigurement: If the injury or illness has impacted your movements
Please accept our condolences if you lost your loved one to injury or illness due to paraquat ingestion. You may have legal recourse via a wrongful death action. Damages such as final medical bills, funeral expenses, and more may be recoverable.
Time Limits May Apply to Your Fairfax Paraquat Lawsuit
When filing a lawsuit, you are confined to Virginia’s statute of limitations, or a time limit, following a diagnosis related to paraquat exposure.
According to Va. Code § 8.01-243, you usually only have two years to file a product liability lawsuit. The same deadline generally goes for those bringing a wrongful death lawsuit, per Va. Code § 8.01-244.
Prompt action is crucial. If you don’t adhere to Virginia’s time frame, you could forfeit your right to sue for damages. As a result, Syngenta or another company involved in manufacturing paraquat will no longer be responsible for compensating you.
Our Firm has Won Tens of Millions of Dollars in Settlements and Verdicts for Our Clients
“Great lawyer. Walked us through the whole process. Never kept us in the dark the entire time by updating us on the future steps and what to expect. Did what he said he was going to do and more. Support staff was friendly and professional…” – Matthew M.
Parrish Law Firm took very good care of me. I cant even express how thankful I am I used them! They sat down with me and went through everything step by step. They also never hesitated to answer my million and one questions. Always friendly but very professional..” JT R.
Our team is ready to hear your story to start working towards the financial recovery you deserve.
Partner Up with the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC, Today for Your Paraquat Case
If you want to file a paraquat lawsuit in Fairfax, look no further than the Parrish Law Firm, PLLC. You can entrust our lawyer to handle your entire case while you focus on getting treatment and spending time with your family.
Contact our firm today at (571) 229-1800 for a free consultation.